Educating the Whole Child
A course by Novak Educational Consulting
As education has evolved, it has become clear that in addition to academics, it is critical for students to learn 21st-century skills, like collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity to succeed in school and life. Our instruction must go beyond "teaching to the test" to empower students to excel.
This requires us to integrate social-emotional instruction into our lessons every day. Universal Design for Learning and Social-Emotional Learning create a powerful partnership in educating our youth. Yet, educators often feel like implementing too many initiatives at once can be overwhelming. There is a beautiful overlap between these two frameworks and this course explores how they complement each other to engage learners and focus on the whole child.
When learners are self-aware and able to identify and regulate their emotions and can work well independently or with peers, they can tap into parts of their brain that may otherwise be shut off to learning. Throughout this course, we will explore how to create an environment that fosters social, emotional, behavioral, and academic growth using both UDL and SEL in your learning environment.
- Learn about the components of SEL and why social-emotional learning is vital for both students and teachers.
- Learn how to integrate SEL practices in your teaching content throughout the day.
- Understand how to create a safe environment for students where the whole child can thrive.
- Develop a deep understanding of the relationship between UDL and SEL.
- Learn techniques to help students develop emotional regulation and stress management through a UDL and SEL lens.
- Design and create lesson plans that remove barriers to academic and social-emotional learning.
- Build a community of like-minded educators who believe in educating the whole child.
ModulesModule 1 UDL & SEL: A Match Made in Heaven
Module 2 Unpacking the Learning Brain
Module 3 Changing Mindsets
Module 4 Designing Nurturing Learning Environments
Module 5 Forging Strong Relationships
Module 6 Cultivating Social-Awareness & the Role of Feedback
Module 7 Making Responsible Decisions & Supporting Executive Functions
Module 8 Putting it All Together
About Novak Educational Consulting
Novak Educational Consulting is the premier organization for designing and delivering high-quality, evidence-based professional development on multi-tiered systems of support, evidence-based tiered interventions, evidence-based literacy models, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and effective leadership practices.
Course + 3 PDUs = $350
- Course Dates:
- Asynchronous, self-paced
- Course Instructor:
- Lisa Bosio