If you began TCSJ’s Pre Service Program prior to March 2021 and want to begin the IMPACT Intern Program in 2022 or beyond, you need to complete additional pre-service coursework to be fully aligned with current content and requirements. Learn More
The IMPACT Intern Preliminary Teaching Credential Program is an accredited California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) program that works in partnership with a consortium of local school districts. It is an alternative pathway to acquire a teaching credential and prepares teachers for service in the following settings: elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and special education settings. Teachers who begin their teaching career with an Intern Credential, are employed and paid by the school district as the "teacher of record" for their classrooms, work closely with a Support Supervisor and attend evening classes in a cohort model twice a week for two years to earn a Preliminary Teaching Credential. Interns are assisted by our Credentials Office with processing Intern Credentials. Each intern certificate (credential) is valid for a period of two years, however, a certificate may be valid for three years if the candidate is unable to complete the program in two years due to extenuating circumstances.
*Interns who are admitted into the TCSJ IMPACT Intern Program must be employed in a face-to-face instructional setting (minimum .5 FTE) with the same group of students on a daily or weekly basis as determined by the master schedule. One-on-one/independent study programs do not qualify.
- Earn your credential while you teach
- Tuition is a fraction of the cost of most other teacher preparation schools
- Receive invaluable teacher support; you are not left on your own
- Class times are in the evenings
- Candidates can apply coursework from the intern programs towards a Master’s degree in Education at TCSJ
- Multiple Subjects (31 units)
- Single Subjects (28 units): Agriculture, Art, Business, English, Health, Home Economics, , Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Science, Social Science, World Langages
- Mild to Moderate Support Needs (37 units)
- Moderate-Severe (34 units)
- Early Childhood Special Education (30 units)
Questions? Contact the IMPACT Team at (209) 468-4926.