GENERAL EDUCATION & EDUCATION SPECIALIST
What is Induction?
Induction is the required route for both General Education and Education Specialist teachers to clear their preliminary credential. Induction is the second tier within California’s Learning to Teach System. Induction is a two-year, individualized, job-embedded system of mentoring, support and professional learning that begins in the teacher’s first year of teaching on his/her preliminary credential. Early Completion Option for “experienced and exceptional” candidates who meet the program’s established criteria is available.
The TCSJ Teacher Induction Experience consists of:
- 1 Orientation course to be viewed by the candidate (preferably with their mentor) within a week of enrolling.
- Monthly Learning Seminars to dive deep into the CSTPs. Candidates and mentors review Learning Seminars together to discuss the California Standards for the Teaching Profession. Access to the program is through the google suite and Canvas LMS.
- Candidates are matched to mentors by their school and/or district according to credentials held, grade level, and/or subject area within 30 days of enrolling in induction.
- Candidates develop an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) that provides the road map for the candidate’s induction experience. The ILP is created based upon each candidate’s needs.
- The Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) documents two full cycles of inquiry, from a student performance-centered SMART goal to reflection.
- The Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) is developed in consultation with their mentor and the site administrator, and is periodically revisited and revised.
- 1 hour per week support of the candidate by the mentor (outside of induction events). Candidates receive individualized support/mentoring coordinated and/or provided by the mentor. Mentoring support includes “just-in-time” and longer-term analysis of teaching practice to help candidates develop enduring professional skills.
- Candidates reflect upon their professional teacher practice using the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP).
- Optional work sessions for support in writing goals, creating units, and reflecting on practice.
Questions? Contact the Induction Team!
- Dr. Brandy Byers, Coordinator
- Judene Violante, Induction Support
Eligibility requirements to apply to TCSJ's Teacher Induction Program:
- Must be employed with a district/employer who is in partnership with TCSJ’s induction program. View List
- Teachers who have a California Single Subject or Multiple Subject Preliminary Credential
- Teachers who have an Education Specialist Level I Credential or an Education Specialist Preliminary credential
- Teaching assignment must match Preliminary Credential
If you meet all of the program eligibility requirements, complete the online application by November 1.Apply Now
Tuition & Fees:
- $2,200 per year ($4,400 total)
Professional Development Units (optional)
If you are looking to move over on the salary schedule, we recommend you check with your school and/or district prior to purchasing Professional Development Units (PDUs) to ensure that they will accept them.
- Year 1 - 6 PD Units ($95/unit) = $570 (link to registration form)
- Year 2 - 6 PD Units ($95/unit) = $570 (link to registration form)
- Must have valid Clear California Teaching Credential
- A minimum of 3 years of experience
- District assigned you
Roles & Responsibilities
- New mentors complete an asynchronous course in the basics of Instructional Coaching.
- Establish a scheduled time to meet with participating teacher weekly
- Spend time each week preparing for weekly meetings with participating teacher
- Provide participating teacher with a minimum of one hour of individualized or coordinated support and mentoring per week.
- Provide the required mentoing and support as outlined on the Mentor Roles and Responsibilities
- Attend the required Learning & Mentorship Seminars
- Submit all required forms, documents and surveys
Professional Development Units
- Year 1 = 6 PD Units/link to registration form
- Year 2 = 6 PD Units/link to registration form