California Kindergarten Association UPK Series
A SERIES OFFERED BY THE CALIFORNIA KINDERGARTEN ASSOCIATION
With the rollout of UPK, early childhood educators will be expected to have a thorough understanding of how to create a dynamic, intentional learning environment for our youngest students. Teachers will gain a deeper understanding of educational theories, strategies, and best practices that will help them on their journey to become effective UPK teachers
Participants will have the opportunity to view multiple professional development sessions from the following list:
- Ready to Write: Ideas to Help with Fine Motor Skills in Young Children
- Playing and Learning
- Young 4s 101
- Assessment in the UPK Classroom
- Cross-Curricular Ideas and Activities: Gross Motor Skills AND…
- Creating and Adjusting a Classroom Learning Environment for Young 4s
- Teach Children Self-Regulation Skills through the Practice of Mindfulness
- Advancing Early Literacy Skills – Phonemic Awareness, Letter-Sound Knowledge, Blending and – Motivation
- Routines and Procedures in the ECE Classroom
- Interactive Writing with Young 4s
- Challenging Kids and Challenged Kids
- Difficult Behavior – Positive Discipline in the Classroom
- Games to Support Letter Knowledge
- Begin Your Day with Inquiry and Imaginative Play through Rise and Shine Stations
- Dice, Dominoes and Decks of Cards for the Eight Mathematical Practices
- Supporting Multilingual Learners in the Classroom
To qualify for 1 unit, teachers must watch a minimum of ten sessions. Each session is approximately 1 to 1.5 hours in length. After watching the sessions, participants will write a reflection for each session answering the following questions:
- What was your biggest takeaway from this session?
- What is something from this session that you will use in your classroom in the future?
- Was this session meaningful to you? Why or why not?
Participants should spend about an hour on each reflection.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA KINDERGARTEN ASSOCIATION
The Mission of the California Kindergarten Association is to foster children’s early learning and development by promoting best practices and professionalism in teaching and advocating for high quality, developmentally appropriate early childhood education. Learn more at https://californiakindergartenassociation.org/.