Designated Subject (CTE) ProgramApril 20, 2023 2023-06-03 17:10
Designated Subject (CTE) Program
Designated Subject (CTE) Program
Do you have a minimum of three years’ experience in one of the below industry sectors?
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Arts, Media, and Entertainment
- Building and Construction Trades
- Business and Finance
- Education, Child Development, and Family Services
- Energy, Environment, and Utilities
- Engineering and Architecture
- Fashion and Interior Design
- Health Science and Medical Technology
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Manufacturing and Product Development
- Marketing, Sales, and Service
- Public Services
If yes, you may be eligible for the Designated Subject (CTE) Teaching Credential, allowing you to teach industry, career technical, trade or vocational classes, in grades twelve and below and in classes organized for adults.
Before applying to the program, we encourage you to set up an advisement meeting with Lisa Reece, the Program Coordinator to see if you are eligible for the credential. You can book an appointment with Lisa to take the first step in the process!
- Delivery format is Face to Face only: You must be able to attend classes in Stockton by 5:00 p.m. twice a week
- Program is 12-18 months in length
- All credential coursework and fieldwork required to clear your credential must be completed within three years of being issued the preliminary credential. For this reason, we do not allow you to file for your preliminary credential until you have secured a CTE teaching position.
- You must be employed with one our partner districts, you can view our Partner Districts.
If you already hold a valid California General Education Teaching Credential, you can obtain the CTE credential by completing six units. If you hold a valid California Education Specialist Credential, an advisement with the program coordinator, Lisa Reece is required to determine equivalencies. You can schedule an advisement with Lisa by emailing her at email@example.com.
After securing employment in a CTE position, apply to the program (visit the eligibility tab for admissions criteria).
After enrolling in the college, you will be notified (via email) by the TCSJ registrar with details to schedule an appointment to process your CTE credential.
The Program Advisor will contact you with an appointment for orientation.
CLICK ON A TAB TO LEARN MORE
- Verification of at least 3,000 industry hours using the work experience templates in the tab below. Industry hour details:
- A minimum of 1000 hours needs to be actual work experience in the industry/trade.
- 24-48 units of college level coursework can be used to meet industry hours, 24 units = 1 year, 48 = 2 years.
- 1 year must be within 5 years or 2 years within 10 years.
- Hours can be full-time, part-time, volunteer, paid, self-employment…and round UP!!
- Submit a Verification of Employment stating that you are teaching a CTE course that requires the credential. Verification of Employment Template
- High school diploma requirement by one of the following methods: Possess a high school diploma, Possess a diploma based on passage of the GED Test, Possess the foreign equivalent of a high school diploma based on passage of the GED Test, Possess the foreign equivalent of a high school diploma.
Certificate of Clearance, View Details, View Tutorial Video
|EDUC100 Technology to Support Teaching & Learning (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|EDUC101 Setting the Stage for Learning (2 units, 30 hours)|
|EDUC102 Equitable Access for English Learners (2 units, 30 hours)|
|EDUC103 Planning Instruction (2 units, 30 hours)|
|EDUC104 Preparing to Teach Reading (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|EDUC105 Preparing to Teach and Assess (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CURR281 Support Supervision (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE200 Teaching Career Technical Education: Foundations for Success (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE201 Teaching for Learning in the CTE Classroom (3 units, 45 hours)|
|CTE202 Health & Safety in the CTE Classroom (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE203 Routines & Relationships to Support Post-Secondary Success (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CURR282 Support Supervision (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE204 Industry Sector Pedagogy and Practices (3 units, 445 hours)|
|CTE205 Inclusive Practices in the CTE Classroom (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE206 Engagement and Equitable Practices for English Learners (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|CTE283 Support Supervision: Advanced CTE (1 unit, 15 hours)|
|Total: 23 units|
Please visit the Tuition & Fees page for full details.
Learn more about TCSJ